Thursday, February 14, 2013

How to Motivate Yourself

If I'm not going harder than everyone else in the gym, I'm failing. 

3 miles in under 18 minutes :P
Its been snowing and raining for about 2 weeks straight here in Philly and I've been forced to use the treadmill.  I don't dislike the treadmill, necessarily, but I do prefer being able to stop and shadowbox or do some burpees, every so often. Anyway, I've been pushing myself to run extra fast on the treadmill, trying to get 3 miles in under 18 min.  I remember my dad bragging about how he could do that with ease on a treadmill, so that game me a goal to reach.  It proved harder than I had expected, especially with a hoody and sweat pants on.  I lost at least 2 lbs. in water weight in that 17:59.  Upon reaching this goal, I had an epiphany: I achieved a goal I had set, but I didn't want to stop there.  I wanted more of this glorious feeling.  Still out of breath, I walked over to the bar and did 3 sets of chin ups, grabbed a medicine ball and did 90 pushups on it, then finished with some dips.  You could follow my trail or sweat, dripping from my sleeves and nose.  Once I finally finished, I calmed down with a stretch.  I looked around the gym at everyone else in there, observing everyone's demeanor. Most guys were more muscular than me, some running faster.  But it was then that it dawned on me: no one was going as hard as me.


It's not about the guy who's liftin' more weight or running faster.  And it's not even measurable by the amount if sweat.  You can just sense it. It's going 'til failure, it's taking shorter rest periods, it's going harder than yesterday.  It's dedication, passion, and perseverance.  It's a combination of focus and faith.  And you can do this very same technique the next time you're at the gym or dojo.  Assume that someone is going harder than you.  Imagine that your opponent is doing an extra set more than you are.

By doing this observation, you will notice you're not competing with anyone else but yourself. This forces you to go your absolute hardest every single time, constantly improving and further evolving. Push yourself that extra degree each and every time. Break records, prove the nay-sayers wrong, and achieve the impossible. 








Train hard(est).
Shane Fazen

No comments:

Post a Comment